What You Need To Know About The K-1 Visa

If you're in a relationship with someone who resides in another country, one option to bring your partner to the Untied States is the K-1 visa. Commonly known as the "fiance visa," the K-1 visa provides a path to residency for immigrants who want to move to the United States and marry their partner. Once an immigrant enters the United States using a K-1 visa, they must marry their partner within 90 days. Here's what you need to know about the K-1 visa.

You Have to Prove You're in a Relationship with Your Partner

In order for your fiance to be granted a K-1 visa, you have to prove that you're in a legitimate relationship. Requiring proof of the relationship helps reduce the likelihood of fraud associated with this visa. Some items that you can present as evidence of your relationship include the following:

  • Trip itineraries to see your partner
  • Photos of you and your partner
  • Written statements from individuals who know you're a couple

You must have had at least one in-person visit with your partner in the past two years prior to applying for the visa. There are some exceptions to this rule to account for instances where an in-person visit would violate religious or cultural norms.

The K-1 Visa Has Specific Financial Requirements

The partner who lives in the United States must meet specific financial requirements to sponsor their fiance for the K-1 visa. They must have an income that at least meets the current federal poverty guidelines. If your income falls short, it's possible to apply for your partner's K-1 visa with a co-sponsor who does have an ample income.

You should also make sure that you and your partner have enough funds to pay the fees and expenses associated with the K-1 visa; these costs are typically around a few thousand dollars, depending on how much assistance you need from a lawyer with expertise in immigration law. 

You Have to Be Legally Eligible to Get Married

Both you and your partner must be legally eligible for marriage when you apply for your K-1 visa. This means that any prior marriages have to be completely dissolved prior to applying for the visa; you can't be in the process of a divorce or separation or planning to file for divorce. Be prepared to show documentation that proves any prior marriages have ended, such as a death certificate for your former spouse, your divorce decree, or your annulment documents.

For more information, reach out to an immigration attorney, such as Harrison-Donaldson Attorney At Law.